Many users install Malwarebytes because it is one of the best anti-malware programs available for free. However, some users are unable to install it due to runtime error problem. These users see an error message that says “Runtime error (code): Could not call Proc” when trying to install Malwarebytes.
If you are facing this problem, you may be missing out on the perfect free protection for your computer. How can you make sure your computer is safe when you’re online? By fixing the runtime error! Here’s how.
1. Install and uninstall Troubleshooter
The Microsoft Setup and Installation Troubleshooter can be helpful in resolving a runtime error because it’s a software installation problem. This troubleshooter is designed to resolve issues that prevent users from installing or uninstalling software.
You can download and run the installers and uninstallers as follows:
- Open the Microsoft download page for the installer and uninstaller.
- choose Download the troubleshooter on this website.
- Click the button to open this shop Windows + E and bring up the folder containing the downloaded file. Then, double-click the troubleshooter icon. MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab file.
- Click Next to see two more troubleshooting options.
- choose installation of to open the list of programs in the troubleshooter.
- Then select Malwarebytes if it is in the list of programs. If it is not there, press the button Off the list choice.
- Click Next to start troubleshooting.
2. Remove Malwarebytes certificates
The runtime error is often caused by invalid Malwarebytes certificates on user computers. Many users have been able to resolve this issue by removing invalid certificates from Malwarebytes. How to remove these certificates in Windows 11/10:
- click on Windows + R to open the Run dialog box.
- Come on certmgr.msc In the Run command text box.
- Click okay to access the certificate manager tool.
- choose Invalid certificates to the left of the certmgr window.
- Click Certificates in the Object type field of the window.
- Look for Malwarebytes certificates in the section Invalid certificates case
- Right-click and select the invalid Malwarebytes certificate Delete.
- Click Yes to confirm the deletion of the certificate.
- Repeat the previous three steps to remove any invalid Malwarebytes-related certificates you find.
- Exit the certificate manager tool.
- Click to restart your computer To start again In the Start menu.
- Try installing Malwarebytes.
3. Change the location of the temporary folder
Another problem that can cause a runtime error is that the Windows %TEMP% folder is not in the expected location. In this case, restoring this folder to its default location may resolve the runtime error issue. To do this, locate the %TEMP% folder using the following CMD commands:
- Open the command line as an administrator.
- Enter this Set Temp command and click Come on:
- Then run this command:
- Finally, enter the following command text and click Return:
- Exit the command prompt.
- To get the latest version of this software, open the Malwarebytes download page.
- Then select the option free download for home choice.
- Click on the downloaded file MBSetup.exe select and select with your right mouse button Run as administrator To find out if you can install Malwarebytes.
Malwarebytes Support Tool is a troubleshooter designed specifically to solve Malwarebytes problems. This utility Clean up may resolve the runtime error by deleting any remaining Malwarebytes files it finds. You can also choose to reinstall your anti-malware software with this utility.
Here’s how to fix a runtime error with this support tool:
- Open the Malwarebytes Support Tool download page.
- Scroll down How do I use the Malwarebytes Support Tool? and click the link Download the latest version of the Malwarebytes Support Tool.
- open File Explorer (the library folder icon on the taskbar) and open the folder containing the Malwarebytes Support Tool installer.
- Open the file you just downloaded to open the Malwarebytes Support Tool installation wizard.
- choose Accept the license agreement and click on it Next to install.
- Click the tool icon Advanced badge.
- Press the button Clean up button.
- choose Yes In the Malwarebytes Cleanup dialog box.
- Click okay restart the computer after the cleaning process.
- Select after restarting Windows Yes Reinstall Malwarebytes for Windows, which usually opens automatically. Or, if you don’t see this dialog, download and open the Malwarebytes installation wizard to install the program.
5. Run the Deployment and Image Service and System File Checker scans.
Corruption of system files is another possible cause of this Malwarebytes installation error. The best way to fix this is to run a System File Checker scan. It is also recommended to run an image deployment and service scan to troubleshoot Windows image problems. Here are the steps to perform both scans:
- Open a command prompt.
- Start the image service and deployment scan by running this command:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- Enter this text and click to launch the System File Checker Return:
- Wait for the SFC tool to complete the scan and display the result message.
After the scan is complete, try reinstalling Malwarebytes to see if the problem is resolved.
If you’re still trying to resolve a runtime error after applying resolutions one through five, run a CHKDSK scan to check the health of your computer’s hard drive. It could be that a hard drive or hard drive error is causing the installation problem on your computer. The CHKDSK (Check Disk) tool can fix any detected file system errors.
You can run a CHKDSK scan at a command prompt like this:
- Run the command line as an administrator.
- Then type and run this Check Disk scan command:
chkdsk C: /f /r
- Press the button Y on your keyboard to program the control disk to restart the system.
- Exit the command prompt and select the Windows option To start again choice.
- After restarting, wait for the Check Disk scan to do its work.
Install Malwarebytes on Windows 11/10
The runtime error solutions confirmed in this guide will likely fix this error so that you can install and use Malwarebytes. However, we cannot promise that they will solve this installation problem for everyone. If you need further guidance on resolving a runtime error, you can submit a support request on the Malwarebytes website.