What would Christmas be without the traditional cake? Well yes. It’s a staple on the party menu, so you better know how to make it. We will show you 3 different Yule log sponge cake recipes for every taste: chocolate, vanilla and flourless diet option. Which one will you choose this year? Try them now to make your favorite Christmas recipe. Let’s go !
Chocolate Christmas Genoise
- 2 tablespoons of melted butter
- 60 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 130 g of white sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons of powdered sugar
- Heat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Prepare a 30×45 cm baking dish. Brush with a little melted butter, then cover with parchment paper and brush with remaining melted butter.
- To prepare the dough, mix the cocoa powder, flour and salt in a bowl, making sure to remove the lumps. Next, place the eggs in the clean bowl of your stand mixer. Add the sugar and beat until the mixture is foamy, thick and very light in color (2-3 minutes). Add half of the vanilla and cocoa powder mixture. Mix on low speed for a few seconds. Next, add the rest of the cocoa mixture and mix for a few more seconds on low speed. Switch to high speed and mix until the mixture is wet but not completely mixed. Remove the whisk attachment and use it to beat the dough by hand until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread it almost to the edges with a spatula. Tap the mold on the counter several times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes until the top is dry and the edges are starting to pull away from the sides.
- While the cake is baking, sift the powdered sugar onto a clean kitchen towel so that the sponge covers an area slightly larger than the cake.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Run a knife around the edges of the mold. Sprinkle some powdered sugar on top. Then run a spatula under the parchment paper so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- To invert the cake, quickly turn the pan onto the sweet spot of the towel. Carefully remove the parchment paper, then dust the cake with powdered sugar. Wrap the cake gently with a towel. Then leave to cool for 15 minutes.
Sponge cake for vanilla Yule log
- 4 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk from a large egg
- 120 g of white sugar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 50 g of flour
- 30 g of corn starch
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 45 g of hot butter
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla
Also read: Which Yule log decoration will impress everyone this year?
- Preheat the oven and prepare the mold as described in the previous recipe.
- Then add vanilla extract to clarified butter and set them aside.
- Sift the flour, cornstarch and baking powder into a separate small bowl.
- Add some water to a medium pot and bring to a boil on the stove.
- Place the eggs and egg yolks with the sugar and salt in a metal bowl and whisk to combine. Then place the bowl over the boiling water. Beat continuously for 2-4 minutes until the egg mixture is warm to the touch or the eggs reach a temperature of about 150°F (43°C).
- Place the mixing bowl in your stand mixer and beat on high speed for about 5-6 minutes. Eggs should increase in volume at least three times. To check if the egg mixture has the right consistency, take a portion of the egg mixture with a fork and create “ribbons” on the surface. The tapes should stay on the surface and not disappear immediately.
- Sift the dry ingredients evenly over the surface of the egg mixture. Take care to sift them evenly so that the flour does not clump together and settle to the bottom.
- Using a wide spatula, carefully fold the flour into the egg mixture.
- Now it’s time to incorporate the butter-vanilla mixture, which should be hot before adding. If not, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds to heat it up.
- Using a spatula, gradually fold the cake batter into the butter-vanilla mixture.
- Mix gently, then bake the cake as above.
Diet recipe: sponge cake for log without flour
- 6 eggs (white and yolk separated)
- 60 g of cocoa powder
- A pinch of sea salt
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 150 g of sugar (divided by 100 + 50 g)
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer at high speed. When the egg whites begin to rise in volume, add 50 g of sugar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
- While the egg whites are whisking, beat the egg yolks and 100 g of sugar in a medium bowl. Add the cocoa powder, vanilla, cinnamon and salt to the egg yolk mixture and continue beating until well combined.
- Then gently fold the chocolate egg yolk mixture into the egg whites with a spatula, being careful not to flatten the egg whites.
- Bake as above in preheated oven.